Thursday, May 11, 2006

 

It's Raining!



I didn't realize that when the rainy season (henceforth to be known as the green season) began that it would begin all at once. I guess I thought we would EASE into the rain. We haven't. On Sunday it was bright and sunny, and on Monday it started raining. It has poured every day this week, starting in the early afternoon and lasting all night. The good news is that now is the time to plant. Edwin Santamaria gave me some angel trumpets to plant at our house today. They are called reina de la noche here because the flowers emit a beautiful perfume at night. I'm going to clean up the garden and plant some cuttings. It's still beautiful in the mornings, as you can see in this photograph below that I took yesterday.


When Kevin gets home from school we have to dig out the water pipe that runs under our driveway. Someone from Public Works stopped by yesterday to ask me to do it. There is so much water when it rains that every home owner has to make sure that the water can pass freely in the drains in front of their houses. Ours is quite plugged up with mud. If we don't clear it out the water will cut a ditch in front of the driveway and we won't be able to get into the garage with the car.

Today Margarita and I walked in the woods behind the Santamaria's cafeteria. It was a pretty strenuous hike and we heard a lot of birds. I left the dogs at home because on our walk yesterday Jumper chased, caught and killed a small chicken. This will NOT make me popular with the neighbors. From now on I'm only going to let her run free on our farm.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?